Here’s how I make homemade butter using a Vitamin blender. Using 500 ml store bought whipping cream, it yielded 200 grams of butter and 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Place the cream in the blender and whip using the variable setting. I start with speed 1 and slowly up to 5 or 6. Stop once you can see the cream has the texture of whipped cream.
- I used the tamper to push the cream into the bottom and centre and started again until the cream starts to separate. This may take about 2 minutes at speed 5 to 6 on the variable setting.
- Observe the cream until butter forms in the middle and you can see the buttermilk separate. Stop the blender at this point.
- Put in a big glass bowl. Strain the buttermilk and set aside.
- Start rinsing the butter until the water runs clear about 5 to 6 times. Take the time to mix the butter with a rubber scraper to expose any buttermilk trapped within the butter.
- Keep churning the butter until all the buttermilk is drained from the butter mass.
- Using parchment paper ball the butter, weight and wrap. You can use it right away or separate into smaller portion for freezing.
This butter is best used for eating and not baking.